It is important to keep your contact list clean, since deliverability, which depends on the delivery of your emails in recipients’ inbox, affects IP reputation. Having many undelivered emails means low reputation: this can lead your email marketing campaign to end up in spam! If you want to know why your emails are marked as spam, click here.
It is good practice to clean your list every time you import new contacts or before sending a newsletter: a good and effective campaign must have a bounce rate lower than 5%!
The platform for sending newsletters Kloudymail includes a “washing machine” to clean address lists. This tool disables all addresses that have already been bounced by other users, non-existing domains or addresses containing typing mistakes.
To use the washing machine, follow these steps:
- Open the “lists” section
- Open the “manage” menu of the list you want to check
- Click on “clean list” and you will see this screen. Then, you will just choose what type of control you want to apply and click on “Start the washing machine!”
What type of control does the washing machine do?
- Check the syntax validity of addresses: choosing this option you will control if there’s any address containing typing mistakes or not permitted characters (like question mark “?”), for example, addresses like “@gmil.com or @lib?ro.it” will be automatically disabled.
- Check if your list contains email addresses that have already been bounced by other users: with this option you will compare your contacts with a list created by Kloudymail that contains all the addresses that already generated hard bounces (to learn what it is, click here). These contacts will be automatically disabled, allowing you to increase deliverability and to obtain a higher sending reputation.
- Verify the existence of email service for the email addresses within your list: the server will check your addresses domains (for example @gmail.com), control the MX record and try to connect to its mail service. If the domain doesn’t have this record or the mail service doesn’t work, the address will be automatically disabled by the system. Since this operation is much more complex, it usually takes more time than the previous two.